About the Company
Created from a fathers desire to help his child achieve more than the schooling system could offer, Kumon has grown from strength to strength since Mr Toru Kumon first gave his son Takeshi his own designed worksheets over 50 years ago. The Kumon Institute of Education was established in Osaka in 1958 and attracted 3000 students in its first year alone. In no time, word spread beyond the city and new centres were established all over Japan. In South Africa, the first Kumon Centre was opened in 1991, and in 1992 Kumon South Africa began its franchising operations with 7 centres opening in the Gauteng area. In 1993 the number of centres was extended to Cape Town, and in 1994 we saw our first Cape Town centres opening.
In order to promote growth, as well as maximise the potential to bring Kumon to an ever-increasing number of students in South Africa, Kumon Education South Africa, (Pty) Ltd was established on the 1st of March 1997. It is a fully owned subsidiary of Kumon Japan.
- Over 50 years’ experience – a tried and tested company with a wealth of franchising and educational knowledge.
- KUMON is the largest independent education provider in the world with over 4 million currently enrolled worldwide.
- A proven method of learning that has benefitted millions of children worldwide.
- On-going training and support provided to our franchisees.
- On-going development and improvement of the Kumon programme.
- Over 23,000 students currently studying on the Kumon programme in Africa – more than any other supplementary education programme in South Africa.
- Over 200 Franchises in South Africa.
- An internationally recognised brand.
The Franchise Opportunity
- A business that offers the Kumon Maths and English programme at a specific venue at specific times to children in the community
- A venue dedicated to the study of KUMON maths and English only
- Open to parents / public during working hours
- Open a minimum of 4 afternoons a week for Kumon study
- A well branded and instantly recognisable venue with permanent signage
Training and Support
- Upon provisional approval as a franchisee you will be invited to attend the next set of training.
- This training consists of 9 days which is held in 3 day sessions at three weekly intervals
- Post-opening training is also provided and compulsory
- The cost of the franchise is a minimum investment of R40,000.00* which includes your licence fee to operate your Kumon Centre
- An additional R20,000.00 working capital will be required
- Stock is paid for through your monthly royalty
- You will be required to purchase tables, chairs, shelves etc. in accordance with Kumon guidelines
- Subsidy packages for start-up, marketing and rental will be offered
*Costs relating to starting up a new business and preparation of a suitable venue will be variable depending on location and the minimum investment and working capital have been calculated using base figures. These amounts may need to be increased to ensure financial stability while growing your business.
Territories and Locations
- Available on enquiry
- Do you have a degree?
- Do you have a heart for the development of people?
- Do you enjoy working with students of all ages?
- Do you have an aptitude for Maths and English?
- Are you interested in owning your own business?
- Would you like to do so with the support and framework of a franchisor?
- Do you have strong communication and interpersonal skills?
- Do you have business experience?
- Can you manage staff?
- Are you ready to commit to a full time Kumon opportunity?
- Do you have or have access to the capital required?
- Are you committed to on-going learning and development?
- Do you have strong administrative skills
- Are you a team player?
- Do you have a drivers licence?
Contact us to find out about our next Kumon Franchise Information Session
GREAT! WHAT'S MY NEXT STEP?
If you have the required liquid capital available find out more about Kumon by submitting the form below.